How can we help?


What licences do you need to open a restaurant?

Opening and operating a restaurant can be an exciting venture, but it also involves navigating various legal requirements. One crucial aspect of operating a restaurant is obtaining the necessary licences and permits. These licences ensure compliance with health, safety, and regulatory standards, allowing the restaurant to operate smoothly and within the boundaries of the law. The Licensing Act 2003 establishes the statutory framework for regulating licensable activities in England and Wales. In this article, we will explore some of the key licences typically required to operate a restaurant.

1. Food Business Registration

This is a basic requirement for establishments looking to prepare, store, supply and sell food. If you plan to operate more than one site, you will need to register each property individually.

This registration is done through the local authority and should ideally be done at least 28 days before trading commences.

2. Music Licence

If you plan to offer live music or entertainment, you may need a separate licence. This ensures conformity with copyright laws and regulations governing public performances. Playing music without the appropriate licence is a copyright infringement.

In most cases the licence needed is known as ‘TheMusicLicence’ which can be applied for from PPL RRS.

3. Pavement licence

If you intend to have outdoor seating, a licence may be required. It typically includes guidelines for the use of public space, safety measures, and noise restrictions.

Applications for pavement licences should be made to the local authority that the property is located in.

These licences ensure compliance with health, safety, and regulatory standards, allowing the restaurant to operate smoothly and within the boundaries of the law.

4. Premises Licence

Frequently required for most pubs, restaurants and cafes a premises licence authorises the buying and selling of alcohol, offering entertainment, and serving food between 11am-5am. It is also worth remembering that alcohol cannot be consumed by persons under the age of 16 as part of a meal in a restaurant. Licensed premises are also required to have in place age verification policies.

To get a premises licence, you will need to either transfer an existing licence or apply for a new one with the local authority.

It is important to note that licensing requirements can vary depending on the location and type of establishment you operate. The licences listed above provide a general overview, and you may need further permissions such as Food Business Registration. Failing to obtain the required licences can result in fines, penalties, or even closure of your business. By obtaining and maintaining the appropriate licences, you can create a safe and legally compliant environment for both your staff and customers. Contact our Commercial Real Estate team for any help you might need with opening or managing your restaurant, pub or cafe.


About this article

This information is for guidance purposes only and should not be regarded as a substitute for taking legal advice. Please refer to the full General Notices on our website.

About this article

Read, listen and watch our latest insights

  • 27 September 2023
  • Employment

10 top tips for negotiating a redundancy settlement agreement

In today’s financial market, redundancies are unfortunately becoming a reality for many businesses and employees.

  • 22 September 2023
  • Employment

Talking Employment Law: New family friendly rights

In this first podcast in the ‘Talking Employment Law’ series, Lucy Densham Brown and Rebecca Dowle, members of the employment team summarise some of the big new family-friendly Bills that are working their way through parliament.

  • 21 September 2023
  • Immigration

Immigration Fees Surcharge – 04 October 2023

The Government has published details of the previously announced increase to visa and sponsorship fees, with the aim of increasing revenue across a range of immigration and nationality visa pathways and associated services.

  • 20 September 2023
  • Commercial Real Estate

Is your property mixed use? Commercial buyers beware of higher residential SDLT

This article discusses a recent case in which a property buyer calculated the Stamp Duty Land Tax due on the purchase at a lower rate, due to the mixed-use purpose of the property.

  • 19 September 2023
  • Privacy and Data Protection

Organisations’ use of social media: Data protection

Social media applications (or commonly known as ‘apps’) are being developed all the time and we are constantly being introduced to new social media platforms, some of which take almost no time to gain huge popularity.

  • 14 September 2023
  • Immigration

Entrepreneurial Dreams: What is the Innovator Founder Visa?

In an era defined by innovation and entrepreneurship, the United Kingdom has made a substantial effort towards fostering its reputation as a global hub for start-ups and innovators. The introduction of the UK’s ‘Innovator Founder’ route has marked a pivotal moment in the country’s immigration policy.