How can we help?


Adult Dependent Relative Visa

It is unfortunate that many of us have an adult relative, or we know someone, who has an adult relative, who is all alone in a country where they are hardly able to take care of themselves. If your adult relative is dependent on you, then you may be able to sponsor them to join you in the UK so that you can take care of them.

Relationship requirement

The dependent adult relative can be any of the following:

  • Parent aged 18 or over
  • Grandparent
  • Brother or sister who is aged 18 or over
  • Son or daughter who is aged 18 or over

Who can be a sponsor?

  • Must be aged 18 or over
  • Must be either:
    • a British Citizen in the UK;
    • Present and settled in the UK; or
    • Hold refugee or humanitarian protection in the UK.


  • The applicant must as a result of age, illness or disability require long-term personal care to perform everyday tasks.
  • The applicant must be unable, even with the practical and financial help of the sponsor, to obtain the required level of care in the country where they are living because:
    • It is not available and there is no person in that country who can reasonably provide it; or
    • It is not affordable.

Financial requirement

  • The applicant will be required to provide evidence that the sponsor has the ability to adequately maintain, accommodate and care for the applicant in the UK without recourse to public funds.
  • If the sponsor is a British Citizen or settled in the UK, they would need to provide a signed undertaking confirming that the applicant will have no recourse to public funds, and that the sponsor will be responsible for the applicant’s maintenance, accommodation and care for a period of 5 years from the date the applicant enters the UK if they are granted indefinite leave to enter.


  • If an applicant meets all of the above requirements and the sponsor is a British Citizen or person settled in the UK, then they will be granted indefinite leave to enter.
  • If the applicant meets all of the above requirements, but the sponsor has limited leave then the applicant will also be granted limited leave in line with the sponsor’s leave. Further to this the applicant will be subject to the condition of no recourse to public funds. If the sponsor applies for further leave to remain, then the applicant can also apply for further leave to remain of the same duration of the sponsor.

If your adult relative is dependent on you, then you may be able to sponsor them to join you in the UK so that you can take care of them.


It is important to remember that this is an entry clearance route and therefore you cannot switch into this category from within the UK. The most important part of the application is the evidence which is provided. Even if you are able to provide medical evidence and evidence that a sponsor can maintain you, it is extremely difficult to show that there are no or inadequate facilities available in the applicant’s country of origin. Further to this, it would also be difficult to prove that the sponsor would not be able to afford to maintain and care for their relative in their country of origin, if they can prove they can accommodate and maintain their relative in the UK. This is why in the majority of cases a country expert would need to be instructed to show evidence that there are inadequate facilities to cater for the applicant’s medical needs. If you would like more information in respect of this visa route or assistance with applying, then please contact our experienced immigration team who will guide you through the process.

About this article

This information is for guidance purposes only and should not be regarded as a substitute for taking legal advice. Please refer to the full General Notices on our website.

About this article

Read, listen and watch our latest insights

  • 10 April 2024
  • Employment

New Guidance: Confidence to Recruit

The new Government guide in collaboration with the CIPD aims to give employers the confidence to recruit its workforce from a wider range of people including those who may have been overlooked in the past as a problem rather than an asset.

  • 03 April 2024
  • Employment

FAQ’s on the new Carer’s Leave Act

Beginning on 6 April 2024, the Carer’s Leave Act comes into force, meaning carers are now entitled to request 1 week’s unpaid leave to care for their dependants.

  • 02 April 2024
  • Construction

UK housebuilders investigated over suspected exchanges of anti-competitive information

In 2022 the CMA was called upon by the Secretary of State for the Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities to conduct a study into the housebuilding sector and provide recommendations on how the sector can operate as efficiently as possible

  • 28 March 2024
  • Corporate and M&A

Legal perspectives on ESG and director duties

In today’s rapidly changing business landscape, the concept of ESG factors has emerged as a guiding framework for companies seeking to thrive in the long term.

  • 27 March 2024
  • Commercial Real Estate

5 key considerations when taking on a lease of a pub property

Taking on a pub property can be both exciting and daunting. Here are 5 key considerations that pub tenants should consider when taking on this new venture.

  • 26 March 2024
  • Employment

Navigating Neuroinclusion: A Guide for Employers

Over the past few years, we have seen a marked rise in awareness of neurodiversity, as well as campaigns for awareness and inclusion in the workplace for neurodiverse employees.