How can we help?


The Hong Kong British National (Overseas) visa route opens from January 2021

The UK government has finally published official guidance on the new Hong Kong British National (Overseas) visa. Despite the ‘British national’ tag, the immigration route shares similarities with other immigration routes to the UK. The route official opens in January 2021.

Who can apply?

The route, as the name suggests, is open to individuals who hold the British national (overseas) or BN (O) status. The BNO status was provided to citizens of Hong Kong, who were able to register for this status before 1July 1997 and did not have any other nationality or citizenship on 30 June 1997.

Those with BNO status, must also demonstrate that:

  • They normally live in Hong Kong
  • Can maintain and accommodate themselves (and their families, if relevant) in the UK for at least 6 months
  • Demonstrate a commitment to learn English, where appropriate
  • Provide a valid Tuberculosis test certificate
  • Pay the visa fee, and the Immigration Health Surcharge.
What status does this visa route provide?

If successful, the applicant’s status changes from BNO, to Hong Kong BNO visa, which allows them to work and study in the UK for an initial period of 2.5 years, which can then be extended for a further 2.5 years.

How do you obtain nationality?

After 5 years on the Hong Kong BNO visa, the applicant can normally apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, provided other conditions are met.

They must then wait a further year before applying for British nationality, unless married to a British citizen (in which case, they can apply immediately after obtaining Indefinite leave to remain).

The route, as the name suggests, is open to individuals who hold the British national (overseas) or BN (O) status.

How is this route different to the current BNO status?

British National Overseas citizens are not allowed to work or study in the UK. They are treated as any other visitors to the UK, if visiting the UK. If outside the UK, the only tangible benefit they may have is being able to seek consular assistance from a UK diplomatic post.

The Hong Kong BNO visa provides them a path to settlement, with an ongoing right to work and study in the UK. They are, however, not allowed to claim public funds.

More information

If you require more information on this visa, or intend on applying under this route, you can contact our immigration team.

About this article

This information is for guidance purposes only and should not be regarded as a substitute for taking legal advice. Please refer to the full General Notices on our website.

About this article

Read, listen and watch our latest insights

  • 21 November 2023
  • Privacy and Data Protection

Privacy matters: How the 8 data subject rights protect personal data

In this guide we explore the 8 data subject rights under the UK GDPR and discover how they play a vital role in preserving your organisation’s privacy standards in an increasingly interconnected world.

  • 21 November 2023
  • Privacy and Data Protection

Overview of Data Subject Access Requests

In recent months, we have witnessed a series of high-profile data breaches that have brought data protection issues to the forefront of the public’s mind and with this comes an increase in Data Subject Access Requests (DSARs).

  • 17 November 2023
  • Corporate and M&A

Should AI delete humans out of the legal sphere?

AI could potentially streamline routine legal tasks. However, there are consequences to consider when it comes to AI in the legal sphere.

  • 17 November 2023
  • Immigration

Controversial Immigration Health Surcharge Fee Increase and Budgetary Concerns

The proposed increase to the IHS has raised concerns, especially among businesses who financially support their sponsored workers’ visa applications.

  • 16 November 2023
  • Employment

TUPE Podcast Series: Service Provision Changes – Single specific events or tasks of short duration

In this fourth podcast in our TUPE Podcast Series, Amanda Glover will be looking at the second of the three conditions required for a service provision change transfer..

  • 16 November 2023
  • Commercial Real Estate

Navigating Telecom agreements: landlords beware

A telecommunications agreement, or wayleave agreement, is a contract between a service provider and a landowner which allows the service operator access to install infrastructure on the privately owned land, in return for wayleave fees.