How can we help?


EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit – Evidence Required

Following on from our last article, there are a number of technicalities to be aware of when making an EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit application.


If you are applying on the basis that the relevant EEA national is your spouse or civil partner, then you will need to provide evidence of your relationship with your partner.

What evidence is required?

You may think it is sufficient to simply provide your marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate as evidence of your relationship, but this is not the case. The Home Office receive a large volume of applications and a lot of them rely on being the spouse or civil partner of an EEA national. Unfortunately, a significant amount of these applications are suspected to be sham marriages (or sham civil partnerships). Fraudulent documents are sometimes submitted which usually include marriage certificates. Even if the marriage or civil partnership certificates are genuine, the relationship may still be deemed as sham if the decision maker is not satisfied that the relationship is genuine.


The relevant Home Office policy clearly states that if a caseworker processing an application is in any doubt that an Applicant’s marriage is a marriage of convenience or is misrepresenting facts, they can request further documents as evidence or can invite the Applicant for an interview. Again, it is advised that sufficient evidence is provided at the outset if your matter is not straightforward. Examples of where the Home Office may argue raises reasonable doubt is if you and your partner only met each other recently, there is a clear language barrier, there is a significant age difference and if the marriage was arranged. Although for clarification, an arrange marriage is acceptable as a valid marriage as long as there is evidence to show there was consent from both sides and there are cultural factors to support the norm.

Therefore, it is always best to provide additional evidence. Additional evidence may include photographs of the wedding/civil partnership, photographs on holidays, holiday bookings, bills in both names, birth certificates of children and testimonials from friends and family members.

Monica Atwal

Managing Partner

View profile

+44 118 960 4605

If you are applying on the basis that the relevant EEA national is your spouse or civil partner, then you will need to provide evidence of your relationship with your partner.

What about dependent parents?

Under the new guidance, it is correct to say that dependency is assumed, but that is not the end of the matter as you must prove the relationship.  In the absence of concrete evidence to establish the direct relationship such as a birth certificate, the decision maker can carry out further investigation.

EEA Family Permit

The EEA Family Permit will still run alongside the EU Settlement Scheme until the end of the transitional period. There are certain situations where an Applicant will have to apply for an EEA Family Permit instead of the EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit, which includes:

  • If the relevant EEA national has not been granted status under the EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit.
  • The relevant EEA national is your durable partner. A durable partner is when you have lived together in a relationship akin to marriage with the EEA national for at least two years. The relevant EEA national must have the relevant documents at the time of the application.
  • You are the extended family member of the EEA national.
  • You have a derivative right of residence in the UK.


We highly recommend seeking advice from one of our experienced lawyers if you are considering applying under either of these routes.

About this article

This information is for guidance purposes only and should not be regarded as a substitute for taking legal advice. Please refer to the full General Notices on our website.

Monica Atwal

Managing Partner

View profile

+44 118 960 4605

About this article

Read, listen and watch our latest insights

  • 19 July 2024
  • Immigration

UK Immigration Rules for Business Visitors: Flexibility and Controversies

The UK’s immigration rules have changed significantly in the past five years and have introduced greater flexibility for non-EEA nationals who wish to visit the UK as business visitors.

  • 17 July 2024
  • Commercial Real Estate

The Leasehold and Freehold Reform Act 2024: what does it mean for my leasehold property? 

The leasehold system in the UK has been subject to some unfavourable press for some time now.

  • 15 July 2024
  • Privacy and Data Protection

The duty to protect third parties: is your DSAR response compliant?

Responding to a data subject access request (DSAR) may feel like a daunting process. It requires a solid understanding of the data subject’s rights, and of the meaning of personal data.

  • 10 July 2024
  • Employment

Redundancy : Back to Basics FAQs

Redundancy can be a scary and overwhelming time both for employees being made redundant, and for those that have to make the decision. It is important for both parties to know their rights and obligations in this time.

  • 09 July 2024
  • Litigation and dispute resolution

Buyer Beware: Practical Guidance for Breach of Warranty in an SPA

Are you buying a business? Whether you are buying shares in a company or purchasing its assets… the general Latin common law principle “caveat emptor” applies.

  • 08 July 2024
  • Corporate and M&A

Navigating corporate transparency: ECCTA reforms series

This is the second article in a series exploring the changes brought by the Economic Crime and Corporate Transparency Act 2023 (ECCTA).